Andy advises individuals, families and institutions in matters related to their real estate holdings including acquisitions and sales, water rights, land use entitlement, the preservation and development of their natural resources and their corporate structure. Andy has developed expertise in private and federal survey/boundary disputes, access issues, and federal, state and local government permitting processes and the representation of donors of conservation easements. His practice is balanced between transactions, litigation and representation in governmental permitting processes and administrative proceedings. Andy represents clients throughout Western Colorado with an emphasis on clients with interests in Southwest Colorado. He enjoys providing solution-oriented legal representation and the challenge of devising and implementing creative solutions to otherwise intractable problems.
After graduating from Shaker Heights High school, Andy attended Kenyon College in Gambier, Ohio. In 1990, he earned a B.A., Cum Laude from Kenyon’s History department and graduated with distinction. After a two year stint in New York City, Andy headed to law school at the University of Colorado at Boulder. In law school Andy served as Co-President of the Public Interest Student Association, earned the Am Jur award for highest grade in Corporations law, and was active participant in the school’s civil trial practice clinic. Andy’s studies included a heavy emphasis on Natural Resource Law. While in Boulder, Andy also trained as a mediator and mediated citizen disputes for the City of Boulder. Andy received his Juris Doctor in 1995 from the University of Colorado at Boulder.
- American Bar Association
- Colorado Bar Association (Member: Real Estate, Water Law, Natural Resources sections)
- Ninth Judicial District Bar Association
- Admitted to the Colorado Bar, 1995
- Admitted to practice before the United States District Court, District of Colorado, 1996
- Admitted to practice before the United States Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit, 1996
- Partner, Karp Neu, Hanlon, P.C., Glenwood Springs, CO (2015 to Present)
- Managing Shareholder/Partner, Hockersmith & Mueller, P.C., Ouray, CO (1995-2015)
Andy recently moved to Glenwood Springs from Ouray County where he was an active community leader in Southwest Colorado. Andy’s community involvement Included:
- Ouray County’s representative on the Board of Directors of the Colorado River Water Conservation District (2006-2014, Board President in 2009 and 2010 and Vice President in 2009).
- Chairperson of the Ridgway School District Accountability Committee 92012-2015).
- Vice President of Board of Directors for the Mount Sneffels Education Foundation (2014-2015)
- Two terms on the Seventh Judicial District Judicial Nominating Committee (2000-2005 & 2013-2015).
- Panel member on the Colorado Attorney Disciplinary Hearing Board (2013-present).
- Chairperson of the Ridgway School District, Project Oversight Committee (2005-2008).
- President, Vice President, and Treasurer of the Seventh Judicial Bar Association (1996-1999).